Last month I had to step away from blogging. It was a difficult decision but I had some major life events take priority:
- I got married! I needed to take time off to focus on the final stages of wedding planning prior to our big day which was July 15th, 2017.
- We went on a honeymoon to Greece! I wanted to disconnect and really enjoy the time with my new huzzzbin!
- Andy and I are building a house – the project is very time consuming so we had to put some serious time into details.
- Also hate to admit this, but I started losing sight of the real reason I started blogging.
- Lastly, I was just overwhelmed with all of the above — I felt like the stress was getting in the way of my creative flow. I wanted to step away to recharge, regain control of my personal goals and come back refreshed!
Taking a break can feel intimidating, and so many bloggers struggle with the idea of disconnecting. Although I wasn’t posting on my blog I was still “active” if you want to call it that on my social media, posting one photo per day on Instagram. This was a great way for me to stay in touch with my core followers without feeling like I was abandoning ship.
Pausing my blog also helped me focus on why I blog…
Somewhere in the mist I started to feel like what I was doing was so materialistic, fashion. I felt like everything I was writing about was stuff: shoes, clothes, purses. I guess with all the things going on in the world I started to wonder how I was making an impact. I came to the conclusion that it’s not about the page views, likes, comments, followers or recognition. For me, it’s really about the personal connections I have been able to make since starting maggiekrol.com. Yeah in some ways fashion blogging can be materialistic but it’s also an outlet for people to get away from the negative things in their life and it took some time for me to realize that. Fashion has always made me happy. It’s what I do, I collect clothes just like others collect cars, coins, and beanie babies, whatever! Through this channel I have been able to meet some incredible people and I started losing sight of why I was really here and why I was blogging in the first place. It’s always been about making a connection with like-minded people.
The final verdict: Taking a break from blogging is a good thing! Here’s why…
- It recharges your outlook on blogging & social media
- It refreshes your creativity
- It’s a good time to set new goals
- It’s also a good time to appreciate how far you have come (That’s right pat yourself on the back, girlfriend!)
- It also helps you catch up on things like getting married & moving into a new home! hehe
HOW TO TAKE A SMART BREAK FROM BLOGGING
If you are worried about losing your audience or site traffic here are some options to think about…
1. CONSIDER GUEST POSTS
Open your blog to the public and your readers! Ask them if they would be interested in a guest post on your blog! Trust them enough to write for you – giving someone who is new or someone seasoned an opportunity can open doors for the both of you. Generosity always pays off, remember that!
2. PLAN AHEAD
If you know you are going on a vacation or taking a hiatus for a couple weeks you can write your posts and schedule them ahead of time. This will look like you never left!
3. BE REAL
Let your readers, followers and friends know you are going to take a break. They will be very understanding because we are all human and we all need to take time off to focus on ourselves.
I am so excited to be back! Writing about my time off made me appreciate taking the time off. I hope this post was helpful to you guys and I hope it will encourage some of you to stop and appreciate the pretty little things. My favorite way to refresh is by going outside for a hike. Hug a tree for me will ya!
Let’s connect on Instagram